Friday, October 9, 2009

Week 5 Picks

If there's one thing we know about pro football picks it's that no ones opinion matters. The games still need to be played.

That being said.............

Here are my picks for week 5, 2009.


Cincinnati Bengals @ Baltimore Ravens
- Through four weeks the AFC North has been a three team race. I expect it to be that way through eight weeks, as well. Coming off that heart breaker in New England I can't see the Ravens losing back to back.

I'm taking the Ravens at home.

Cleveland Browns @ Buffalo Bills - Does this game have any intrigue?

I'm taking the Bills at home.

Washington Redskins @ Carolina Panthers - I know a lot of people don't believe in "must wins" this early in the season, but those people are wrong. In today's NFL every week has "must wins" and this is one of Week 5's. The loser of this game can kiss their 2009 goodbye.

I'm taking the Panthers at home coming off the bye.

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Detroit Lions - The Steelers may've finally gotten it together last week against the Chargers. The Lions lost their franchise QB for at least this week.

I'm taking the Steelers on the road.

Dallas Cowboys @ Kansas City Chiefs - Do the Cowboys regret giving Tony Romo all that money? Do I need to ask if the Chiefs regret giving Matt Cassel all that money? In a battle of QB's under the microscope, it's a must one for one them, and that's the QB that'll will get the win.

I'm taking the Cowboys on the road.

Oakland Raiders @ New York Giants - With or without Eli, the Giants QB situation is better than the Raiders right now. I could see this one being dangerously close for a half, but the Raiders are still at least a year away from competing with teams like this.

I'm taking the Giants at home.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Philadelphia Eagles - Why hasn't anyone in the national media jumped on the Buccaneers? They cut their payroll in half. Hired a head coach who obviously isn't ready. And both sides of the ball look like a total mess.

I'm taking the Eagles at home coming off the bye.

Minnesota Vikings @ St. Louis Rams - Talk about a lucky break coming off of what has to be a huge Monday night hangover. Expect the Vikings to monitor Favre big time this week, try to get up early, and watch Tavaris Jackson "do his thing" (if he has a thing).

I'm taking the Vikings on the road.

Atlanta Falcons @ San Francisco 49ers - the most intriguing NFC game of the week. Both teams look poised to be playing in January, and this is a great opportunity for separation. In games like this I tend to go with the better QB (especially when you're missing Frank Gore).

I'm taking the Falcons on th road coming off the bye.

Houston Texans @ Arizona Cardinals - Were these the two most hyped teams this offseason? Maybe it's just me, but I felt like I heard about these two teams all summer. Obviously neither has lived up to expectations. This is a must win for both, especially the Texans who can kiss any division hopes away with a loss here.

I'm taking the Texans on the road.

New England Patriots @ Denver Broncos - The Denver defense has been great so far.The Patriots defense has looked shell shocked at times. Kyle Orton has been solid in taking the Broncos to a 4-0 record. Tom Brady has been playing scared. Brandon Marshall has developed into an elite, big play, young receiver. Randy Moss is aging. Josh McDaniels is the early favorite for Coach of the Year. Bill Belichick has been ridiculed for some of his recent moves. Are these two trains meeting at midnight going separate ways? My heart says "yes," but my brain says "no. " There will be one less undefeated team after this week.

I'm taking the Patriots on the road.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Seattle Seahawks - If this game were played in 2005 or 2007 we'd be hyping it up, and justifiably so. In 2009 however, both of these teams are playing desperatly mediocre football. And while both are still alive in the playoff picture, does anyone see either making it? The one with the better shot will win this week.

I'm taking the Jaguars on the road.

Indianapolis Colts @ Tennessee Titans - I'm sure NBC executives were pumped when they landed this game on their schedule in the offseason. Last week they were probably texting, tweeting, paging, emailing, callling, and using every other form of communication trying to convince Jeff Fisher to put Vince Young in to generate some hype. Fisher is sticking with Kerry Collins, who will lead a limping Titans into the ring one last time in their last chance to stay alive. Unfortunately for him, they're playing a team with just as much to gain.

I'm taking the Colts on the road.

New York Jets @ Miami Dolphins - Does anyone else wish that Wayne Chrebet was still playing? These two playing on a monday night has to jolt that memory out of your brain. Anyway, both of these teams really need this win. It'll be interesting to see how "The Sanchize" bounces back from his first loss as a pro, and it'll be interesting to see whether or not the Dolphins can come together and get back in this season. The Dolphins are a lot better than their record, both coaches seem to have a good grasp of their players, I love the matchups on both sides of the ball, and in a lot of ways this is a must win for both teams. Braylon Edwards will make no impact.

I'm taking the Dolphins at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment